Australian Wooden Boat Festival 2017 Tasmania
The main purpose of our trip was to display two of my strip built kayaks at the AWBF in Hobart, but as before we extended our visit to last almost four weeks.
Having two kayaks on top of the camper meant that setting up and packing up took over twice as long as usual.

From Devonport, we headed west for a night at Montagu before driving down to the Arthur River to check out "The Edge of the World" at the mouth of the river and for a cruise the next day.

Our overnight stay was just a few kilometres south at "Prickly Wattle Campground".

I tried my luck trolling for trout at Lake Barrington where there is a huge free campground.  There were plenty of undersize trout including a few that would have been legal in other lakes where the minimum size is a bit smaller.

The hillsides at Queenstown are recovering from the devastation caused by the mining.

However some places still show how the bare hillsides used to be.

At Arthurs Lake, rather than stay in the main campground at Jonah's Bay, we went a short distance past the boat ramp where there are a couple of spaces more suited to a Land Rover and a Trayon.

Interlaken used to be Tasmania's favourite fishing spot, but for various reasons, including the presence of carp in Lake Sorrell, most of the fishing shacks don't seem to have been used much lately and it is obviously a long time since a child played on the swings or slippery dip in the playground.  However, it is a great place for a peaceful camp.  We saw only one other vehicle there.

As I had my kayaks on display at the festival in Hobart, we had four very enjoyable days at the AWBF.

Our next stop was Bruny Island with one night at "The Neck" camping ground and one at the Captain Cook Holiday Park at Adventure Bay.  I opted for the short walk to "Grass Point", but strongly recommend going a few hundred metres beyond the end and up the track to see the cliffs where the cruise boats pause.

We timed our trip up the East coast, camping at "Chain of Lagoons" so that we could once again enjoy the sea fish chowder served at the floating cafe in St Helens.

We have stayed a few times at Waterhouse Island Conservation Area and if you don't mind the corrugations in the road in after the peak holiday period, there are a lot of great camping spots, many of which are very private and many with a view out towards Bass Strait.

At Narawntapu NP we did the short walk to the bird hide at the lagoon.  The higher than usual water level made the paper bark swamp on either side of the boardwalk look as if it should have been infested with alligators or some similar creatures.

#247 Dual Cab model on Defender 110 single cab

Messages In This Thread
Australian Wooden Boat Festival 2017 Tasmania - by Allan - 22-02-2017, 04:53 PM