Simpson desert - Trayon wonderland!
Just wanted to post some pics of our successful recent Simpson desert crossing, with perfectly matched Trayon, Dmax, Mum, dad & 2 boys!
Dmax running gvm upgrade of 3220 & weighbridge says we use every bit of it! Plenty of research, homework and cautious driving saw us easily Criss cross several tracks from west to east (I know - the easy way!) 
Had a couple of dunes that slowed us down a bit - never any assistance required....then an attack on big red......1st attempt.....up & over on a track that other lighter vehicles were getting stuck in!!!
As expected, faultless prefomance from the quality Trayon, no dust, no movement, cold beer and fine lodgings at the end of every day!!
Thanks Trayon!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Awsome place

I also see you went to Lamberts Centre.

Well done
Thanks

Patrick and Karen
Yes and greeted by a pretty new looking Flag as well.
Looking good 593, what was your fuel economy like across the desert? and what pressures did you find best in your BFG KO2's?
(19-07-2018, 04:16 PM)patl Wrote: Awsome place

I also see you went to Lamberts Centre.

Well done
very well picked up Patrick & Karen.
Great units that go anywhere arnt they!?!
All the best!
(19-07-2018, 04:37 PM)DnP#960 Wrote: Yes and greeted by a pretty new looking Flag as well.
Looking good 593, what was your fuel economy like across the desert? and what pressures did you find best in your BFG KO2's?

Hi David & Paquita,
Flag did look pretty good - but only got a slight breeze for 5 or 10 minutes in the morning to enjoy it!
Just worked out my economy - 6500Km in 3 weeks, return to Geelong - up the center, across the desert & home....@ full capacity....including 130kmph leg from Alice to Kulgera to get to LAmbert b4 dark....overall...1000ltrs of fuel...approx. 15.49 ltrs per 100.
Our track across the desert, mt dare fill to birdsville fill, 633 km - 108ltrs - 17.1 ltrs per 100.
1 night Dalhousie, 4 in the desert, night at Birsdville. avg spd 25mkph - approx. 25 hours drive time!!

Tyres - as I keep noting....I am heavy!
But basically ran 18-20psi on the front & about 26 on the back - to try & keep the front & rear to a similar balloon level... (trick we heard @ odnadatta!)
when I sat pondering big red......I dropped the front to 14 & rear to about 18......up & over.....yeehah!
Ride was always good, tyres ran great (they were new to Cape York last year!), had about 3 - 4 times across that I had to back out & go again on day 1....but a big part of that was experience....just reverse, think & go again...a bit wiser!

All the best. 
Thanks for your interest!
Some great stats there thanks 593. 14 psi.. Wow the secret weapon hey.. Interesting your economy didn't change that much between overall and the desert. An amazing adventure. What about traffic coming in the opposite direction? I've read quite a bit about groups "racing" across in a couple of days. I think I'd be paranoid about meeting someone on the crest of a dune.. Do the flags and the UHF chatter help with this?
The evenings and the stars are supposed to be beautiful..
(19-07-2018, 09:47 PM)DnP#960 Wrote: Some great stats there thanks 593. 14 psi.. Wow the secret weapon hey.. Interesting your economy didn't change that much between overall and the desert. An amazing adventure. What about traffic coming in the opposite direction? I've read quite a bit about groups "racing" across in a couple of days. I think I'd be paranoid about meeting someone on the crest of a dune.. Do the flags and the UHF chatter help with this?
The evenings and the stars are supposed to be beautiful..
Evening!
The Dmax has been a great vehicle, had since new (5years) & is the day to day work truck with a removal tool box (similar system to the Trayon) that sadly goes on when I have to take the Trayon off! (usually about 400 - 500 kg'!)
Day to day Melb/Geelong & running around, I usually get about 11ltr per 100 - when I take it off & drive naked, sports car performance and get down to about 9.....Trayon on, fully loaded & not very aerodynamic with roof racks & roof bag, I wasn't that disappointed with the average. On the way up when the roof bag was well packed, solar panel inside on an angle etc, I got 11.7, 12.8, 13.2 & 13.4 for the 1st 4 tanks...that got me to Alice via Coober Pedy & Uluru.....then I was just putting everything in the bag as I could....some of the pics show a slightly high bag!! lol!

Traffic wasn't too bad and communication on Channel 10 was great. we travelled as a 2 vehicle group and didn't strike any situations. The flags really do help, but must dunes as you get to them, give great vision of whats ahead. the only really issues with limited vision or not having some warning of what is ahead, is when you crest the 1st dune in the morning, after a lunch/snack/wee/photo stop etc, after time has expired and you are unsure if there is anyone on the other side. The Channel 10 Chatter is pretty continuous, with a lot of groups announcing 'cresting' (& commenting East or West bound on French, or WAA or the like)...but that's not that helpful as there is knowing which of the 1200+ dunes they are referring  too!! Smile
'party of 4 - eastbound - cresting'......helpful, but not easily identifiable.
Everyone was well behaved for our 5 days, 4 desert nights - with good brief chats with most passer by's & definitely good wave of acknowledgment. People did say there seems to have been a bit of an increase in those wanting to attempt East to West as it is so strongly advertised as the harder way & also plenty towing trailers, again seemingly because of the talk that trailers should be discouraged.....that said, everyone seemed to get along.
We would hear a lot of people needing mates to pull them out, snatch straps, max tracks etc, but our 2 vehicles never became stuck! (luck or management....I suggest luck!)
Such short days atm & 1 and 2 degree nights, 21 - 26 degree days (no cloud - 1 day with a pretty good breeze) that sunrise was magnificent, set camper up so kitchen prep area gets sun early!, and the sunsets also magnificent - just the colour contrast throughout the sunset duration and the beginning of the night time absence of light (Darkness) rising from the East as the sun disappears to the West was like nothing we had noticed before. PB for shooting stars was 4 in one evening!
Usually packed & driving by about 10am - drive for 5 or 6 hours - setting up camp by about 4....camp fire...beautiful!
Sorry - I have gone on a bit!
Hope info is of some use!
I counted 6 Trayon at Birdsville but must have misssd you guys 
It was a brilliant trip with a run out to poeppels corner

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ford Ranger supercab
Custom fit fabrications alloy tray with 80ltr diesel headboard,
aluminum 185mm deep 2mtr long trundle draw and custom sideboxes,
Girrard hot water
Trayon no 350