Two Trayons Tackle Tassie!
Last month two Trayon's (and 'cruisers) tackled the many delights around Tasmania. Here are a few photos:

(Mt Victoria Track - NE area)

(Bridge near St Columba Falls - NE area)

(Eddystone Lighthouse - Bay of Fires on East Coast)

(Bluestone Bay - Tasman Peninsula)

(Treasure Island CP - Hobart)

(Arthur River Area - West Coast)

(Start of Jeffreys Tracks)

(North end of Climes Track, West Coast)

We had an absolute ball in the 3+ weeks we had in Tasmania, and can't wait to get back there to see all the area's we just didn't have the time to see. It's really "Trayon Country" with all the great remote campsites and tracks to explore.

Cheers, Geoff
Trayon Camper 546 with plenty of custom features
That is SOOOO good!! love it, thanks for sharing. Looks like you had alot of fun. Is that what has been mentioned before as a "gullwing cruiser" ? I Heart it big time!!!
OH YEAH that's the stuff - the tuff stuff. Thanks for sharing Geoff, she looks very boggy in that last photo.
(11-04-2014, 07:12 AM)#777 Wrote: OH YEAH that's the stuff - the tuff stuff. Thanks for sharing Geoff, she looks very boggy in that last photo.
Yes, I was a bit concerned for a while but it all worked out OK. Bit of digging and a winch backwards and all was good. The RHS mudguard is a bit second-hand but it's only checkerplate so will probably make up a new one down the track.
Tassie has some awesome areas and 4WD tracks, and we WILL come back one day.

(Jeffreys Track)

Yes the 'cruiser is the "gullwing" build by Shepp 4WD, the second Trayon with us (Trev & Kerrie) has copied the setup and made up their own version which are great.
Hi Glen,
I'll put some names of places on the photos when I get a chance. The weather was generally really good, we had a few wet days on the west coast but I understand that is pretty usual for the area. I was really disappointed when we tackled the Mt McKay track (Queenstown) that the clouds (and rain) came in and we missed the views, especially after the amount of organising to get a key and the ranger cleaning our vehicle undersides (to prevent weeds).
Definitely planning on coming again, and hopefully the great areas remain open and don't get locked up like lots of spots on the mainland.
Cheers, Geoff
Hi Geoff,

I'm thinking about a Trayon and I like your setup. Your extra storage unit solves my greatest dilemma with the cruiser ute - where to put my stuff with the Trayon on the back! What size Trayon have you put behind that storage unit? Also they are great shots.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Geoff
Hi Geoff,
I have the standard 1830 Single Cab Trayon and had the tray built to suit - means I have a fair overhang at the rear. Have considered a chassis extension but haven't gone down that path as yet.
Cheers, Geoff
How much of an issue is the change in weight distribution resulting from moving the Trayon so far back?

A couple of photos make it appear that the front suspension has very little weight on it. Even with the Trayon having two thirds of its weight in the front third, it appears that with the extra storage compartment added, the Trayon has moved far enough back to put its CG well behind the back axle.
#247 Dual Cab model on Defender 110 single cab
I would suspect very little as the heavy gear is now placed in the "Gull-wing" box which places more weight forward as opposed to the back of the Trayon or in the drawers. I guess it always will come down to how and where you pack.
As Josh mentioned we try to keep as much weight as possible away from the rear. The main weight within the Trayon is all up the front (water tank, fridge). In an ideal world I would extend the chassis about 200mm to better balance the vehicle up, but that also comes with disadvantages such as poor ramp over and turning circle increase.
In this world everything is a compromise, but I think that the 'cruiser with the extra storage and the full-size Trayon is a pretty good setup!
Pity I hadn't known you were coming. Could have shown you some amazing country-no matter, next time.
Trayon #699.
(15-04-2014, 10:42 AM)portal pat Wrote: Pity I hadn't known you were coming. Could have shown you some amazing country-no matter, next time.
Hi Pat, Thanks for the offer, would love to catch up next time as I'm sure we only just scratched the surface of places in Tassie and nothing beats local knowledge for the best locations.
Cheers, Geoff
Hi (2) Geoffs,

You might like to have a look at what we did with our GU Nissan Patrol in the My Rig thread. We now have loads of storage & the bonus of a roomy cab. A lot of soul searching happened prior to the extension re turning circle etc & that turned out to be a non-event. Now we wonder how we travelled without it. Last year's trip included leaving home in winter & spending most of the time in Far North Qld then arriving home in winter so every conceivable type of clothing had to be included...no problem.

Cheers,
Glenys
(14-04-2014, 03:16 PM)geoffm16 Wrote: As Josh mentioned we try to keep as much weight as possible away from the rear. The main weight within the Trayon is all up the front (water tank, fridge). In an ideal world I would extend the chassis about 200mm to better balance the vehicle up, but that also comes with disadvantages such as poor ramp over and turning circle increase.
In this world everything is a compromise, but I think that the 'cruiser with the extra storage and the full-size Trayon is a pretty good setup!

Given that there is only 2 of you (judging by the single-cab ute) would it not be easier to use a dual cab Trayon?
Regards,
Ryan

#254 on a Land Rover Defender 130.
Hi Ryan,
We did think long and hard about the dual cab 'cruiser and it does have a number of benefits, including extra seats! However the gull-wing drawers are just fantastic and are much better for storage than a back seat (have had a dual cab hilux and extra cab BT50 previously). Also the overhang is slightly less on the single cab with drawers than the dual cab.
So our experience and preference would still be for a single cab with well setup drawers rather than the dual cab, however it would be nice to be able to take the grandkids sometimes (or maybe not!).
Cheers, Geoff
I suspect that Ryan's question was not about a dual cab vehicle, but rather about a dual cab Trayon.

I have a dual cab Trayon on a single cab vehicle and there is space at the front for a spare tyre and jerry cans as well as space at the back of the tray.

https://www.trayon.com/forum/thread-257-...ml#pid1235

If the dual cab Trayon was moved to the back of the tray on a single cab vehicle, there might be room for your gull wing box at the front without the overhang at the back.
#247 Dual Cab model on Defender 110 single cab
Hi Alan,
Ok, I misunderstood. When we were first looking at a slideon we thought that the dual cab was a bit small for our purposes. We're still happy with the single cab Trayon and when looking for a replacement vehicle for the broken BT-50, we needed something that would carry our existing Trayon that we wanted to keep. The 'cruiser with additional storage fitted the bill, and we've been really happy with our arrangement so far.
Cheers, Geoff
Another Trayon/Gull-wing Cruiser...Big Grin

Gull-wing cruiser made by:
Shepparton Four-wheel drive center
180 Benalla Rd, Shepparton VIC 3630
(03) 5822 1877
info@shepp4wd.com.au
You even got Wayne in the photo - well done! He'll want modeling fees next!

Wayne put together my 'cruiser and did a great job, would recommend talking to Wayne and his team if you are considering a similar buildup.
Cheer, Geoff